Sunday, November 22, 2015

Communication is Lost in our World Today!!

As I showed up to play in a racquetball tournament, I was standing there with five other guys in a circle. As we were standing there I started asking questions like where you all from, what semester is this for you? No one responded to me so I started to look around and saw they were all on their phones. I then got a little bugged. Communication in our day has gone down, people can’t even make eye contact with you or wave at you. Sometimes they can’t even have a normal conversation with you.

It has been said that when we communicate fourteen percent is through words, thirty five percent is tone and fifty one percent is non-verbal communication or body language. My generation has stopped picking up the phone and now uses text messaging to communicate. There is a lot of problems with just texting, you only get fourteen percent of what the other person is trying to say. When we text there is a lot more room for the other person we are texting to interpret it wrong. There is no real emotion in texting, I can text something that I really don’t feel and have the other person believe it. When you call you have forty nine percent and can get across more that you want to communicate. For example I will call girls to see if they want to go on a date. I can tell if they are excited or not to go. Whereas if I just text them I have no idea if there excited or not. I believe that texting is just an invitation to talk

When we stare at a computer screen take snapchats, upload Instagram with new pictures, and text we miss out on so many moments to talk with and listen to a real person and to enjoy the moment. I am a college student and a very social person I love talking to people and seeing them smile. But when I walk to class or see someone texting I don’t even want to talk. I believe that people want to talk to others we have gotten so preoccupied that we never give others the chance to have a real conversation.

Technology and communication go hand in hand. I am not saying that it is bad if you text or snap chat or Facebook. You can reach a-lot of people through those things, if you use it right. But if you’re not careful you can also ruin a lot of relationships because of it as well.


People love to be talked too we all want to feel loved and belonged and communication is key. Next time someone talks to you slow down and listen because you could be an answer that they’re looking for. If we are tied up with technology and other things we might miss out on that special moment. Remember you can never not communicate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment